Dalbeattie Star 1 - 3 East Kilbride
by Joshua Kane 

WET and WILD weather couldn’t dampen East Kilbride’s impressive start to this season’s league campaign as they secured victory in stormy conditions at Dalbeattie Star last night. 

The Kilby outfit made the long midweek trip down south in elements that wouldn’t have looked out of place in December but it wouldn’t stop the sides determination in securing the three points.

A few changes from Saturdays convincing 10-0 victory over Selkirk saw Capuano come in for the injured Howie and Anderson replace Winter on the right hand side. 

A stalemate in the first half brought little talking points with a few long range efforts from Jamie Longworth and Bernard Coll causing no trouble for Wilson in the Dalbeattie goal. 

The best chance of the first half came on the quarter of an hour mark where Craig Malcolm saw his free kick tipped narrowly over the home sides crossbar. 

Half time arrived and the outrageous conditions looked keen on playing a deciding factor on the result although the Islecroft Park was holding up pretty well to the brutal weather.

The gaffer’s half time team talk looked to have done the business when Craig Reid knocked in a bullet header from a Bernard Coll cross that opened the scoring on 53 minutes. 

However moments later the home side drew, after some quick play on the right side forced Liam Craig into committing a foul inside the box. 

Dalbeattie’s Scott Milligan stepped up to the spot and powered the ball down the middle to level the scoring. 

East Kilbride didn’t let the equaliser take much effect on their performance as they began to put more pressure on the Dalbeattie back line that eventually payed off with 25 minutes to go. 

Malcolm capitalised on a defensive error which saw his first attempt blocked but he calmly slotted his second effort into the bottom right hand corner. 

It looked as if East Kilbride would need a third to settle the nerves and they got their wish 70 minutes into the game. 

A whipped ball in from Anton Brady forced Dalbeattie keeper Wilson into flapping at the cross with the ball falling to Craig Reid. The centre half headed over the Dalbeattie defender on the line and secured the three points for the East Kilbride outfit.


A tough night in horrible conditions but a strong performance from Kilby drowned out any real threat from the home side having only one shot on target the full game. 

East Kilbride find themselves top of the Lowland league after only two games and look to continue their strong start to the season as they make the trip to BSC Glasgow on Saturday.

comments powered by Disqus