East Kilbride FC 10 – 0 Selkirk

by Amy MacMillan


It was an emphatic start to the new season for the East Kilbride boys after a 10-0 win against Selkirk in the opening match of the 2018/19 Lowland League campaign on Saturday.


After being handed the Captain armband earlier in the week, Kilby’s new skipper Craig Malcolm grabbed a hat-trick as Brian Kerr’s carefully assembled, new-look squad got off to a historic start.


It didn’t take long for Kilby to take the lead after Anton Brady crossed the ball to new club captain, Malcolm, who’s header deflected off Ludovic Erhard and landed in the bottom corner of the net, 3 minutes in.


Kilby’s captain doubled the advantage in the 15th minute when Selkirk keeper, Matthew Mackie, spilled Liam Craig’s shot and Malcolm picked up the rebound.


The EK fans didn’t have to wait to wait much longer to celebrate another goal after Anton Brady’s free kick swerved past the Selkirk wall and into the right hand corner of the net - putting Kilby 3 nil up just 20 minutes into the match.


As it began to pour from the heavens just before half time, it was raining goals at K-Park as Michael Anderson set up the ball for Scott Stevenson who netted the 4th goal.


Going into the second half in complete control, Kilby kept up their record-breaking performance early on, scoring 3 goals in 4 minutes.


A bullet header from Craig Howie started the scoring-spree in the 57th minute, with Jamie Longworth securing the 6th goal of the match moments later - making an impressive start to his competitive debut.


Before the Kilby fans could get comfortable in their seats again after the 6th goal celebrations, well deserved man-of-the-match, Graeme Holmes, also got in on the act with another debut goal.


It took the Selkirk side twenty minutes before they could make their way into the EKFC box for the first time in the second half, giving the visitors a chance at a goal but it was cleared by new signing, Craig Reid.


But EK didn’t stop there. Minutes after being brought onto the park, 20 year old Jay McInally on his Kilby 1st team debut grabbed the 8th goal of the match, after being set up by Craig Malcolm


McInally wasn’t finished, the youngster then squared to Malcom who netted from close range to make it 9-0 moments later.


The final minute of the match then saw Anton Brady wiped out in the box, and Malcom stepped up to rifle home his hat-trick goal, to put the score into a double figure win, making the team performance one to go down in EKFC history.


It’s a big week ahead for Kilby who now face two away matches in the Lowland League. The next match on Wednesday sees a journey to to Dalbeattie Star before making the trip to Alloa to face BSC Glasgow on Saturday.



comments powered by Disqus