East Kilbride… 4   Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale… 1

Match report - by Amy MacMillan (photo by Susan Thomson)

A well-deserved 4-1 Kilby win against Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale in the final pre-season friendly of the summer have put Brian Kerr’s side in good spirits for the new 2018/19 season kicking off this Saturday.

The game came alive after 4 minutes, when Jamie Longworth stepped up to give Kilby an early lead from the penalty spot after a Lothian defender clattered into the back of Craig Malcolm.

Minutes later, Kilby’s Sean Winter had a powerful shot at goal but the visitors breathed a sigh of relief as the ball narrowly went past the right post.

After Kilby enjoying majority of possession in the first 20 minutes, Lothian’s Samuel Nhamburo nearly equalised after taking a chance from the edge of the box, but the shot went off target.

One of Kilby’s new season signings, Jamie Longworth, sets up a potential goal for Sean Winter but it was an excellent save from Neil Farnie.

Kilby continued to create a good few chances as Scott Stevenson crossed the ball into Sean Winter, but it was deflected by the Lothian captain, Grant Munro.

32 minutes in, an inevitable second goal arrived as Brady played the ball wide to Liam Craig who cut inside and fired his effort low into the net.

As it crept towards to half time, Lothian keeper Farnie gave the ball away cheaply from a rushed clearance, and Craig Malcolm was there to roll into of the net on the 41st minute for 3-0.

The first half action didn’t stop there. A minute before the half time whistle, Bernard Coll played a great ball into the box and Winter latched onto it and rolled the past Farnie to make it four at the break.

Lothian had a good chance at their first goal of the match just after the interval when Yaffa Mendes passed to substitute, Brandon Archibald, but Kilby captain, Craig Howie made a smart block.

Jamie Longworth had a chance to increase the lead on the hour, but his chipped shot struck the face of the bar, and Paul Woods was then denied by Farnie shortly after.

Just as the home fans and Kilby back line were about to celebrate a clean sheet, Lothian substitute, Kevin Brown, scored a last minute goal after a cut-back - ending the match on a 4-1 win to Kilby.

Kilby raise the curtain to the Lowland League season on Saturday 28th July against Selkirk.  Kick-off is 3pm at K-Park.

comments powered by Disqus